EAA Chapter 1116 Board of Directors Meeting
Minutes of September 7, 2017
A. Opening: President Nels Carlson called the meeting to order at 6:10 pm
1. Introduction of members and sign-in sheet passed around. 6 members present.
New member Kurt (Longeron) Languirand introduced himself.
2. Bert Ayers read the Minutes for the Board of Directors Meeting on June 1, 2017.
Approved as corrected.
3. Marty Davidow gave the latest Financial Report. Approved as read.
B. Old Business:
1. Nels Carlson reported on his and Doug Hay’s trip to Oshkosh. Nels reported on all the services
EAA Headquarters provide to help the local Chapters. Doug Hay is investigating all the video
programs available to use at our General Meetings.
2. Nels asked for Old Business from the floor. Marty Davidow passed out a new roster of all
the paid members, 37 paid members. Marty also requested that someone take over the sales
of the Chapter Shirts – Doug Hay volunteered to be the shirt person. Marty announced that
Betty will not be able to organize the Christmas Party. We will look for a volunteer to organize
The December Christmas Party.
3. A lengthy discussion followed about future Young Eagle and Eagle Flights. It was decided for a
tentative schedule of 3 Young Eagle and 2 Eagle Flights between the present and next June.
The second Saturday of future months will be reserved for the flights with the possibility of
adding more flights.
C. New Business:
1. Nels reported on the Coachella Valley Youth Aviation Education Program. A lengthy discussion
followed. Nels proposed that the $500.00 the Chapter appropriated for the Flight Scholarship
be donated to the CVYAEP to partially cover the cost of one student. Nels will ask the
membership for an additional $274.00 to make the $774.00 for the sponsorship of one student.
Nels will ask the 99’s to make a similar donation with their $500.00 Scholarship Pledge.
3. Sid Burks was unable to attend the meeting, so Nels presented a written report that Sid outlined future educational programs for the local students.
4. Nels reported on the possibility of the Chapter getting the use of the hangars at the
5. Nels presented the Agenda for the September General Meeting with a totally new format.
A lengthy discussion followed. Chapter business will be limited to 5 to 10 minutes.
Introduction of members, stories, more war stories and interesting speakers. The Board members
approved the new format. Fly outs still proposed. Donation for the donuts proposed.
6. Nels discussed the upcoming election of new Chapter Officers. Marty Davidow, Doug Hay and
Bert Ayers will be the Election Committee.
7. Nels asked for any New Business from the floor – no new business.
8. Next Board Meeting is October 5, 2017. All members welcome.
9. Motion to adjourn at 8:00 pm.
EAA Chapter 1116 Special Board Meeting
Minutes for July 6, 2017
A. Opening. Nels Carlson called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm.
1. Welcome to members. 9 members present. Sign-up sheet passed around.
2. Nels explained the purpose of the special meeting.
Subjects discussed: Location of meetings.
Time of meetings.
Type of activities at the meetings.
Subject matter of guest speakers.
What other Chapters do at their meetings.
Do the members want a change in Chapter Meetings?
Do we want Social Dinners?
Do we want a yearly Calendar?
3. Conclusions of this meeting:
1. Chapter Business at meetings limited to no more than 5 to 10 minutes.
2. A survey will be presented to the membership with several options as to how, when and
where the meetings will be held and the content of the meetings.
4. Input from members not attending this meeting are welcome – contact Nels.
B. Future Meetings: Next Board of Directors Meeting – Sept. 7, 6:00 pm, Coco’s Restaurant
Next General Meeting – Sept. 16, 9:00 am, Thermal Pilots Lounge
C. Adjourned – 7:30 pm
Minutes for EAA Chapter 1116 General Meeting
June 17, 2017
A. Opening: President Nels Carlson called the meeting to order at 9:00 am
1. Member sign-in sheet passed around. 12 members present.
2. Minutes for the General Meeting of May 20, 2017, were read by Bert Ayers.
Approved as read.
3. The financial status was read by Marty Davidow. Approved as read. Marty also
Reported on the sale of the Slick Magnetos, donated by Vince Bastiani, for a
donation value of $347.89.
B. Old Business:
1. Bert Ayers gave a brief synopsis of the June Board of Directors Meeting.
2. Nels reported on the June 16, 2017, Young Eagles Flight. 7 young folks were flown
by Arlene Wolhgemuth and Sid Burks. Thanks to Arlene and specially to Sid for
filling in at the last minute. Thanks to Ross Aviation for the use of their facility.
A very lengthy discussion followed.
3. Nels asked for any old business from the floor. Marty talked about purchasing
Club shirts from EAA headquarters. No other old business.
C. New Business:
1. Nels talked about different formats for the General Meetings and how to attract
new members. Another very long discussion followed. Sid Burks made a motion
for the Board to hold a Special Organizational Meeting during the summer break.
Tony Terrigno seconded the motion. It was decided to have a special meeting
on July 6, 2017 at Coco’s Restaurant with all members invited. Nels talked about
getting credits for the Young Eagle Flights and members getting 25 for 25 pins
for members having flown 25 Young Eagle students. Nels also talked about our
members attending the 2017 AirVenture at Oshkosh. Arlene reported on the Eagle
Flight Presentation to the Palm Desert Rotary Club.
2. Rafael Sierra gave a lengthy presentation about the future Coachella Valley
Youth Aviation Program, starting on September 2, 2017. Any help our Chapter
members can give will be greatly appreciated.
3. Nels asked for any new business from the floor. No new business.
Summer break from General Meetings for July and August.
A Special Board Meeting on July 6, 2017, 6:00 pm, Cocoa’s Restaurant
Next regular Board Meeting on September 7, 2017, 6:00 pm, Cocoa’s Restaurant
Next General Meeting on September 16, 2017, place TBD
Motion to adjourn – 10:45 am.